Did you know that the average American consumes about, 60 pounds of added sugar every year according to the American Heart Association. This statistic is leading many people to reduce their sugar intake and focus more on living a healthier lifestyle. The problem is sugar is found in many of our favorite foods and beverages such as our morning coffee, baked goods, cookies, desserts, dressings, and marinades.
What is Allulose?
Allulose is a naturally occurring low-calorie sugar found in small quantities in certain fruits, such as figs and raisins. It shares a similar taste and texture to regular sugar, but with an extraordinary twist - it contains almost zero calories, bakes, browns and caramelizes just like sugar! This makes allulose an excellent alternative for those looking to satisfy their sweet cravings without compromising their health goals.
3 Reasons to Use Allulose
- Low Calorie, Great Taste: With allulose, you can have your cake and eat it too, quite literally! By opting for products sweetened with allulose, you can indulge in delightful treats while keeping your calorie intake in check.
- Diabetic-Friendly: Allulose doesn't raise blood sugar levels like traditional sugar does, making it a fantastic option for individuals managing diabetes or those looking to reduce their sugar consumption. Unlike most sweeteners, allulose has a minimal impact on insulin levels, making it a favorable choice for those following a low-carb or ketogenic diet.
- No Aftertaste: One common complaint about alternative sweeteners is their lingering aftertaste. Luckily, allulose doesn't have that problem! You can enjoy the sweetness without any unwanted flavors.
How do you use Allulose?
Allulose on its own, is less sweet than sugar, that’s why it is the perfect ingredient in our SweetLeaf® All-Purpose Baking Sweeteners. Every cup measures just like sugar so you will never have to use a conversion chart when baking or cooking. Here are a few ways you can use Allulose.
- Baking: Because allulose tastes, bakes, browns and caramelizes like sugar, it can be used to make cookies, fluffy cakes, and gooey brownies!
- Caramelize: You can make your own caramelized sugar with the new SweetLeaf® indulge™ Granular or any of the 50% Reduced Calorie Sugar versions. These products make the perfect zero or low-calorie caramelized sugar for Crème Brulé, Sticky Buns, or homemade Custards. You'll be amazed at how something so sweet can be so healthy!
- Coffee: Use allulose to reduce the amount of added sugar in your morning cup of coffee. This simple swap is an effortless way to cut down on your added sugar intake while still enjoying that same cup of joe— guilt free.
- Sprinkle on oatmeal: Sprinkle allulose on your morning oats instead of sweetening with sugar or syrup. Use any new SweetLeaf® All-Purpose Sweeteners to add a dash of sweetness, it's an easy way to have a healthy start to your day.
SweetLeaf® just launched 5 New All-Purpose Baking Sweeteners containing allulose to make cutting back on added sugar a little bit easier. SweetLeaf® indulge™ is our zero-calorie sweetener that comes in granular and powder, while our SweetLeaf® 50% Reduced Calorie Sugar is a blend that comes in Cane, Date, and Coconut. Our all-purpose sweeteners are different than most sugar substitutes because they taste, bake, brown, and caramelize just like sugar. Each new product is easy to use because it measures cup for cup like sugar. In addition, they have zero sugar alcohols, and use a unique ingredient called allulose.
As the world becomes increasingly health conscious, replacing sugar with allulose is the perfect solution to sweeten your life without added calories. Whether you are a baking enthusiast, a beverage lover, or a snacking aficionado, we have the solution to lowering your sugar intake while still enjoying your favorite foods!
Latest BlogsAll Blog Posts
Sweet Talk In Your Inbox
Sign up for our monthly newsletter!